This month, the world observes the birthday of Mikao Usui. To honour this occasion, I wish to share a brief time line of Mikao Usui’s accomplishments. As You navigate through this week take a moment to relax, breathe, and find a moment of peace within Yourself.
- Mikao Usui was born in August , in the year 1865, in the village of Taniai-mura, in the Yamagata district of Gifu Prefecture.
- He attended a traditional Japanese Tendai Buddhist Monastery, learning Samurai Swordsmanship and Kiko.
- Usui became a Tendai Buddhist Monk, living in near Mount Kurama.
- Mikao Usui studied many topics in depth – history, biographies, medicine, psychology, the I Ching, Ju Juitsu, along with metaphysical topics, and theological books like Buddhism Kyoten and The Bible.
- During a retreat on the holy mountain Kori Yama, Usui fasted and meditated for twenty one days. As He completed his quest, and prepared to leave, spiritual energy began to flow down through the crown chakra. This light energy was Reiki Ryoho – healing light energy. He returned to Kyoto, to heal and continue His work. He spent seven years in Kyoto.
- The first process in Usui’s healing system was focused on healing the practitioner. Once attuned to the energy of Reiki, a student could begin to heal others.
- Mikao Usui attuned and taught the following students – Toshihiro Eguchi, Dr. Hayashi, Jusaburo Giuda, and Bo Taketomi. These people went on to heal and teach Reiki.
- Through time and space Usui went on to heal people all over Japan.
- Although Mikao Usui was a Buddhist, He felt people of different faiths and religions should share in the benefits of Reiki.
- Because of this, Reiki is taught and practiced on an international scale.
- Usui passed away March 9th, 1926, in Fukuyama, Hiroshima Prefecture, Japan. The cause of death was stroke.
Mikao Usui and His students went on to heal people all over Japan, and eventually all over the world. His teachings were profound, yet simple. Reiki is a healing modality which envelopes mind, body, and spirit. Reiki is not a religion, it is a way of being. Along with the incredible gift of Reiki Light and Energy, Usui’s legacy to the world was “The Reiki Precepts”
The Reiki Precepts
- Just for today, I will not anger
- Just for today, I will not worry.
- Just for today, I will do My work honestly.
- Just for today, I will give thanks for My many blessings.
- Just for today, I will be kind to every living thing.